day eighteen | washington dc

Our first impression of DC was that it was hot. OMG, its so hot! 

Before we dropped off the car, we stopped in at Arlington National Cemetery.  Its pretty much how I expected it to be but it was a lot bigger than I thought.  I guess I'm only going by photos I've seen and they're always of a perfect line of white headstones against a green grass backdrop.  Although the grass wasn't that perfect green, there are rows upon rows upon rows of headstones.  Quite sad really when you realise what it represents (well to me).  I guess it also represents the sacrifice that these soldiers have made for their country.








I'm not big on history although with the amount of History Channel that gets watched at home, I guess I should be! I didn't realise that past presidents are buried here as well.  I guess the big 'tourist' draw is the Kennedy grave sites.



The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was quite a sobering experience. There is a soldier who guards the tomb and makes 21 steps towards one end, follows a routine with his gun then turns around, makes 21 steps to the other end and does it all again. I'm not sure how long he stays there for before there is a changing of the guard but his focus and precision are amazing. There is a cemetery employee who ensures that anyone watching the ceremony is respectful and that means that no one is allowed to talk.  I actually shed a tear watching this, it was quite a powerful experience.


By the time we got to the hotel, with the heat and all of the driving in the past few days, that was pretty much all we managed today.

Mechelle

1 comment:

  1. that's sad just reading that story about the soldier.

    ReplyDelete